How To Make Yerba Mate Tea?
Mate is one of the most traditional infusions in Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay, being present in more than 90% of the homes. Approximately 6.5 kilos of yerba per person are consumed every year. In this post we are going to share with you the keys to preparing a great mate.
How to prepare the traditional mate
- Heat the water: For the temperature of your mate to be just right, it should be between 70 and 80º C.
- Prepare the mate: Use a mate gourd or a cup of tea and pour the yerba mate. It should only cover three quarters of the recipient. Make sure you don’t add more than necessary.
- Like a pro: lay the yerba on one of the sides, forming a small hole to pour the water and place the bombilla.
- Place the bombilla in the hole you created. A recommendation: cover the upper hole of the bombilla with a finger to prevent it from clogging. We recommend that you cover the upper hole of the bombilla with your finger to avoid it clogging.
- Final step: pour some water inside the gourd every time you drink. The water should fall next to the bombilla each time.
Choosing your yerba mate is a challenge; depending on which one you choose, the flavor, intensity and duration of the infusion will change. If this is the first time you drink mate, we would suggest that you start with mild yerbas. You could even try out fruit-flavored yerbas or yerbas that contain herbs. Each brand is different, so we recommend you to try several yerbas and find the one that suits your taste.
The mate gourd you choose is very important for the yerba mate tea to be delicious. In Latinafy you will find a great variety of mate gourds. There are wooden gourds that enhance the yerba’s flavour, pumpkin and leather gourds (maybe the most popular ones), steel gourds that keep the heat, gourds with designs, and many more. An ideal mate for beginners is the classic pumpkin mate that comes with the bombilla included, so you have everything you need to try it out.
In Latinafy you can find more than 200 types of yerbas and 150 options of mates, among other products. There’s worldwide shipping and free shipping promotions are available depending on the destination, so that everyone can enjoy this typical ritual with family and friends.